5 Best Ways Take Control of Your Diabetes
If you have diabetes, it is very important that you take control of your disease. Many people with diabetes have health problems or other risk factors, such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol, which may increase the risk of heart disease, stroke etc.
You can prevent problems by:
- Quitting Smoking. Smoking raises your blood sugar level…making it harder to control your diabetes.
- Getting a hemoglobin A1C test (long-term blood sugar control test) every 3-6 months.
- Following your meal plan. As your doctor or dietitian has suggested, you should eat lots of different foods that are high in fiber but low in fat and salt, and watch how much you are eating.
- Having your blood pressure measured each doctor’s visit. Blood pressure control reduces your risk of heart disease, stroke and other diseases.
- Being active. Exercising every day can help you reach a healthy weight. Talk to your doctor before you start an exercise program.